The Russian cathedral at Dalny


Title

The Russian cathedral at Dalny

Contributor

Date

Date Created

Description

When the Russians decided to build a city at Dalny, they made their plans on a grand scale. Foremost among the buildings they erected was the cathedral of the Greek Church, a handsome building situated on a slight elevation and surrounded by a park, newly hid out, as is seen by the small trees. As soon as the Japanese took possession of the city, they utilized the church for a hospital for the wounded and sick officers, and the vast area of the church was often hardly large enough to admit all those who were brought here on stretchers and jinrikishas. After General Stoessel had capitulated on January 2, 1905, Russian officers too were brought here from Port Arthur, where the sanitary conditions had become frightful during the long siege, and Japanese physicians and attendants nursed them back to life.

Extent

1 stereograph. 2 photomechanical prints on stereo card : halftone, stereograph, color ; 9 x 18 cm

Rights

1905 Ingersoll, T.W.
No known copyright

Download File(s)

https://repository.erc.monash.edu/files/upload/Rare-Books/Stereographs/Russo-Japanese/RJW-138.jpg
https://repository.erc.monash.edu/files/upload/Rare-Books/Stereographs/Russo-Japanese/RJW-138b.jpg

Citation

Barry, Richard and Barry, Richard (photographer), “The Russian cathedral at Dalny,” Monash Collections Online, accessed July 11, 2020, http://repository.erc.monash.edu/items/show/13916

Item Relations

This item has no relations.